School Age Teacher
Department: School Age Programs
Reports to: Justin Hickey
FLSA Classification:Non-Exempt, Part-time
Created / Updated: 07/2020
JOB POSITION OVERVIEW
Under the direction of the Site Supervisor, the Teacher is responsible for supervision and management of children between the ages of 4-12 in a manner that contributes to the growth and functioning of the children and their families. Perform a variety of instructional and clerical duties designed to assist the Site Supervisor in the planning and implementation of developmentally appropriate programs and services for all children we serve.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assist in planning, supervising and implementation of the daily program for assigned children under the direction of the site supervisor.
- Assist in planning and preparation of the creative learning environment, establishment of interest centers, and preparation of needed material and supplies.
- Gears the program to the needs of the individual child with concern for their interest, handicaps, special talents, individual style, and pace of learning.
- Maintains YMCA discipline policy in the guidance of children.
- Keeps appropriate records for all children assigned and evaluates each assigned child’s development.
- Takes responsibility for general clean-up and classroom maintenance, assuming an equal share of the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- Communicates appropriately with parents and keeps them informed of child’s progress in a positive and supportive manner.
- Continues professional growth through attendance at classes, YMCA training’s, educational meetings, conferences, and workshops.
- Assist the director in any other appropriate ways.
- Maintain professional attitudes and loyalty to the program and supports the policies and philosophy of the YMCA.
- Will need to be able to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence, effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Treats each child and adult with dignity and respect and maintains a professional attitude with parents, staff, and children always.
- Wear staff shirt daily with appropriate pants, shorts, skirts, etc.
- Adheres to state licensing requirements and YMCA quality check guidelines to maintain a high standard for program, staff, and curriculum.
- To support, promote and participate in all YMCA events, when it is determined by your supervisor that you are to be involved.
- Leadership – Maintain a positive, upbeat role, promote, and exemplify Company values and represents departmental objectives and interests to internal and external customers
- Customer Service – Follow up on complaints, questions, and concerns; respond to internal/external customer needs in a friendly, timely and efficient manner
- Teamwork – Develop and promote teamwork and cooperation among co-workers
- Safety – Comply with established safe work practices and attend to all safety-related training provided or made available by the Company.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Must have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must have 12 units in early childhood education or 6 units in early childhood education and currently enroll in 2 unites of child development per semester until 12 units are completed.
- Preferred 1 or more years’ experience in Early Childhood Education setting.
Required Technical / Other Skills and Abilities
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years old.
- Ability to communicate with young children, supervise and direct play.
- Must obtain Pediatric CPR and First Aid Certification with in 60 days of employment.
- Must clear DOJ, DSS and FBI background check process prior to employment.
- Must clear physical and TB testing prior to employment.
- Can apply for an Assistant Teacher/Teacher permit issued by CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing preferred.
- Working in State classroom, must have: A.A degree in ECE or, hold a teacher or Master Teacher permit issued by California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
The physical demands described on the attached “Physical Demands of Position” chart are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. View job description for physical demands.
This position has access to confidential information – personal data of participants and families and participant medical records.
This position does not have access to company funds.