Assistant Food Service Specialist
Job Title: Assistant Food Service Specialist
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Site Supervisor
FLSA Classification:Non-Exempt, Part-time
Created / Updated: 01/2021
JOB POSITION OVERVIEW
Assistant Food Services Specialist will assist the Center Cook and/or act as Substitute Lead Cook in a full range of food service duties related to planning, organizing, and implementing the food service operations of the Child Development Center; assist in operating and maintaining the kitchen, supplies and equipment in a clean and sanitary condition; assures compliance with federal and State Child Nutrition guidelines. Assists in the administrative work associated with the State food program.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Plans, organizes, and aids in a variety of tasks in the efficient operation of the Child Development Center food service program; participates in the preparation and cooking of daily meals that meet CACFP standards.
- Plans, organizes, and prepares food, bottles, and other food-related services for the infant program, if necessary, for their site.
- Operates and manages the use, care, and operation of food service equipment.
- Maintains and/or ensures work areas are maintained in a sanitary manner; ensures in the cleaning of kitchen equipment and utensils on a routine and regular basis.
- Coordinates the set-up and delivery of food and beverages to the various classrooms.
- Maintains inventory of food and supplies; places orders; checks received goods against requisitions and invoices; inspects foods for standards of quality; stores inventory properly.
- Shops for groceries, supplies, and equipment that cannot be delivered; document purchases according to established procedures and within budgetary guidelines as directed by the Center Cook/Site Supervisors.
- Assists in maintaining a variety of records and reports as directed by the Site Supervisor and or Program Director and Center Cook such as meal count sheets, daily production records, printed menu preparations, recipe, and label binders.
- Responds to inquiries in a courteous manner; provides information within the area of assignment; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Aids Child Development Center instructional staff in the conduct of projects or activities related to the food service program and/or instructional activities which involve food or cooking.
- Participates in training and staff development activities including those mandated by CACFP food program.
- Prepares food for staff meetings and special events as assigned.
- Performs a variety of general clerical duties.
- Work responsibly in performing a variety of tasks involved in the efficient operation of the Child Development Center food service program including food preparation, food delivery, and kitchen clean-up services and activities.
- Interpret and apply applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations as well as administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Read, write, and calculate recipes.
- Leadership – Maintain a positive, upbeat role, promote and exemplify Company values and represents departmental objectives and interests to internal and external customers.
- Customer Service – Follow up on complaints, questions, and concerns; respond to internal/external customer needs in a friendly, timely and efficient manner
- Teamwork – Develop and promote teamwork and cooperation among co-workers
- Safety – Comply with established safe work practices and attend to all safety-related training provided or made available by the Company.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- 1 year of experience in food preparation and/or food service
Required Technical / Other Skills and Abilities
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Must have a valid Food Handlers Permit
- Must have a valid Drivers License
The physical demands described on the attached “Physical Demands of Position” chart are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. View job description for physical demands.
This position has access to confidential information – personal data of participants and families and participant medical records.
This position has access to company funds: for use of purchasing supplies and goods.